Following the success of the COVID-19 Care package project which to date has distributed over 14,000 packages; thanks to the collaboration between the Jamaica Diaspora Taskforce Action Network( JDTAN), the LASCO Chin Foundation, the Union of Jamaica Alumni Associations (UJAA) multiple partners and the generosity of thousands of donors.
JDTAN, the Jamaica Awareness Association of California (JAAC) and other partners will now support the Crime Prevention and Community Safety branch of the Ministry of National Security’s Back-to-school initiative to provide basic school supplies to students from 20 schools. The need is heaviest for infant and primary school students in communities in: Clarendon, St. James, Kingston, St. Andrew and Westmoreland.
Each child’s backpack will be filled with essential supplies from the list below:
• Cloth mask
• Pencil case
• Pens (black, blue, gel) and pencils
• Crayons or pencil crayons
• Glue stick
• Soft and hardcover exercise books
• Folder paper
• Geometry set
• Playdough (kindergarten)
• Poster paint (kindergarten)
• Jumbo paintbrush (kindergarten)
• Water bottle
Renée Steele, Senior Policy Director of the Crime Prevention and Community Safety Branch at the Ministry of National Security emphasized the need stating that “the impact of the pandemic has compounded socioeconomic stressors that face our most vulnerable families, which is expected to worsen with the demands associated with the Back to School season.”
The cost to sponsor the supplies for each student is approximately $25 USD.
Supplies will be shipped to Jamaica at no additional cost, thanks to Dennis Shipping Jamaica Limited. The Community Service & Development department of the University of Technology and the Ministry of National Security will clear, assemble, and distribute the school supplies.
Leo Gilling, JDTAN Chairman wishes to thank all the partners collaborating to support this important initiative:
The Jamaica Awareness Association of California (JAAC)
The UTECH Community Service & Development department
Dennis Shipping Jamaica Limited
Canada Coast to Coast:
• Jamaican Cultural Association of Nova Scotia (JCANS)
• Jamaica Association of Montreal Foundation
• Jamaica Association of Montreal Inc.
• Jamaican (Ottawa) Community Association Inc. (JOCA)
• Jamaican Canadian Association (JCA)
• Windsor West Indian Association (Caribbean Centre)
• Jamaican Association of Manitoba
• Jamaican Canadian Association Alberta Calgary
• The Jamaican Canadian Cultural Association of British Columbia (JCCABC)
The Back to School Supplies Drive will run from August 15th to September 5th. Working together we can provide this necessary support at the start of the school year.